About the institute
We are a social science research institute at HiOA. Our key qualifications lie in place and governance studies, nationally and internationally, in selected policy areas.
By combining cutting-edge expertise across disciplinary borders, we produce integrated and robust analysis with great emphasis on relevance for our clients.
Fields of Study
- Housing Studies
- City and place
- Democracy and governance
- Health and welfare
- Climate and environment
- Migration and integration
- Planning Studies
- Regional and territorial development
- Southern and Eastern Africa
- Southern and South Eastern Asia
- Latin America
- Eastern Europa, Eurasia and Central Europa
NIBR possesses comprehensive experience in conducting research-based evaluations for public institutions, nationally and internationally. Our evaluations include general reforms in public administration and governance systems, as well as restructuring processes within specific sectors and institutions.
Multi-disciplinary and complementary methods are key traits characterising NIBR's evaluation research. Based in a research tradition, we value in-depth understanding of the realities we explore. Our analyses are therefore based on empirical richness generated by data collection processes specifically customised for each assignment.
Our main clients
- The Research Council of Norway
- Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development
- Ministry of Climate and the Environment
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs with Norad
- Ministry of Health and Care Services
- Ministry of Children, Equality and Social Inclusion
Research at the Institute is increasingly funded internationally by among others the EU, the World Bank and other international organizations.
Researchers at NIBR
NIBR's researchers span the social sciences and planning disciplines:
- Political science
- Land-use planning
We are a partner of the Oslo Centre for Interdisciplinary Environmental and Social Research - CIENS.