Accommodation for international students
The Student Welfare Organisation (SiO) in Oslo offers student housing. It is your own responsibility to find housing while you are studying at HiOA. You must apply directly at SiO’s homepage: www.sio.no.
Oslo receives more and more international students but there is an enormous lack of student accommodation; it is very important that you read the following information.
Warning! Do not travel to Norway without having signed and returned your housing contract. You may end up being homeless. Housing prices in the private market are extremely high.
- Apply for housing here as soon as possible after admission from HiOA.
- If you are going to study at Campus Kjeller , please choose Åråsen Student House .
- International students are prioritized if they apply before 1 November (Spring semester) or 1 June (Autumn semester).
- You have to apply for a room (with moving in date) from 1 January or 1 August (in order to be prioritized according to SiO’s allocation regulations). And even if you move in later you will have to pay rent for the whole month.
- Choose several student houses options, and accept any accommodation offer by SiO even if you are not satisfied with the offer (otherwise you will risk being put at the end of the waiting list).
- Some rooms will be fully furnished (look for this when applying).
- Monthly rental prices are between 2,500 – 3,500 NOK excluding power/electricity (take a good look at this before choosing your room).
- You will have to pay a deposit when signing the contract (between 6,000 - 16,000 NOK).
- Look very carefully at your housing contract period; it may only be valid for a 6 months’ period or a year (unless you have given SiO your study plan or otherwise requested when you applied).
- None of the rooms have duvet/pillow nor bed linen; bring your own.
- You also have to bring your own kitchen utensils, even if you have a shared kitchen.
- You may want to buy cheap kitchen utensils at IKEA; there is a free IKEA bus from Oslo central station.
- Rooms are allocated before your arrival to Oslo; please make sure you have received you housing contract/confirmation before travelling to Oslo.
- How to retrieve your key
If you have any questions whatsoever regarding housing please read SiO FAQ or contact SiO on:
E-mail: email@example.com Phone: +47 22 85 32 00 (opening hours Monday- Friday 09.00-17.00).
If you are staying less than three months at HiOA or if you have not been allocated a room by SIO, you may want to look for alternative accommodation options in Oslo:
Some of the websites may be in Norwegian only!