Accommodation for international students
All International students are in principle guaranteed a single room provided they apply online by the given deadline. Student housing is administered by the Student Welfare Organization SiO.
HiOA will do everything possible to ensure that all our international students are assigned accommodation through SiO. However, as Oslo receives more and more international students we cannot make guarantee that all of you will receive an offer of accommodation.
When should I apply?
Apply for housing as soon as possible after admission from HiOA. The application is available on www.sio.no/housing
- 1 June Autumn semester
- 1 November Spring semester
Please note: It often appears that there are no available rooms on the SiO website. Don't worry - you will be assigned accommodation as long as you follow the instructions below and send in your application before the deadline.
How can I increase my chances of getting a room through SiO?
International students are prioritized when it comes to housing through SiO, but only if they:
- apply within the deadline
- apply for a single furnished room. If you apply for any other type of accommodation you risk not receiving an offer.
- choose either 1 January or 1 August as your moving in date regardless of the actual date you’ll be moving in. All contracts start these dates and all students given accommodation must pay rent from these dates. If you arrive in Oslo more than 14 days after the date, please notify email@example.com as soon as possible to avoid cancellation of the room.
- choose several different student houses when applying
- accept any accommodation offer even if you are not satisfied with the location. If you decline the offer made by SiO, you will no longer be prioritised for housing and risk not receiving another offer. See Contract, prices and payment
There is no age limit for international students applying for accommodation through SiO. Please contact the international office at once if your application is rejected for this reason.
Which accommodation alternatives should I choose in my application?
The most important thing is to apply for single rooms only.
In the application you can also see if the rooms are furnished or not. We advise you to choose this option. More details under What to expect from your student accommodation
- Students at Kjeller Campus , should choose Åråsen Student House, the only accommodation option located at Kjeller.
- Students at Pilestredet Campus can choose between the rest of the student houses as they are all located in the Oslo area. See SiOs map for more detailed location
If studying in Oslo, apply for several different student houses.
Monthly rental prices start from approximately 3000 NOK excluding electricity. See SiOs price list
How do I apply?
Follow the step-by-step instructions
The standard of the rooms is simple, student standard.
All furnished rooms include a bed, closet, desk, chair, and bookshelf . However, curtains, pillows, sheets, quilts and reading lamps are not provided. Kitchen utensils are also not provided, even if you have a shared kitchen. You can bring or buy these items after arrival.
Internet is available in the rooms, but normally by cable, not WiFi.
More practical information can be found on SiOs website
Laundry and cleaning
You’ll be provided with a laundry card when you get your key. You can purchase laundry credits to use at the laundry facilities in the student housing.
Each tenant is responsible for cleaning:
- all utensils/equipment used in the kitchen
- stovetop, sink and counter area in the kitchen after each use.
- own room
- own bedding/linen and towels
Rooms are allocated before your arrival to Norway so make sure you have received and confirmed you housing contract before travelling to Norway.The contract will be sent to you by email and must be signed and returned to SiO to be valid.
- Accept any offer by SiO , even if you are not satisfied with the accommodation they have offered you. If you want, you can request to change the accommodation after you’ve arrived in Oslo and moved in.
- Normally your housing contract is issued for one year. If you’re only staying one semester make sure you make sure you give SiO two months’ notice before your departure.
- Monthly rental prices start from approximately 3000 NOK excluding electricity. See SiOs price list
- Always pay your rent on time. Late payments will generate heavy administration fees.
- You’ll have to pay a deposit when signing the contract. The deposit is equivalent to two months rent and should be paid as soon as you’ve signed the contract. Send the proof of payment to SiO by email or post.
- The deposit will be returned to you when you move out given that you’ve complied to SiOs rules and regulations.
- Please note that Quota Scheme students only need to pay the deposit after arrival.
How do I get my key?
Follow the instructions on SiOs website
- Arrive during SiO opening hours.
- If you know you will be arriving outside their opening hours, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than three days before arrival to organize alternative means of retrieving your key.
More information about housing can be found on www.sio.no/housing.
If you have any additional questions regarding housing, please contact SiO directly:
+47 22 85 32 00 (Open Mon- Fri 09.00-16.00).