Health Insurance

As a student you need to have some form of health insurance during your stay in Norway. What kind of insurance depends on your nationality and the length of your stay.

Students from the EU/EEA

  • You can choose to have either private health insurance or coverage by the European Health Insurance Card.

European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card entitles you to the same treatment as the citizens of the country where you are staying.

For further information

  • about how to obtain the card, check with the nearest health authority office in your home country.
  • about the European Health Insurance Card, check the European Commission's website.

You must bring the European Health Insurance Card when you enter Norway.

Private Health Insurance

If you decide to use If you use private health insurance, make sure your insurance covers

  • Norway
  • the entire period of your stay

You must bring documentation of private health insurance covering the entire period of your stay when you enter Norway.

Students from countries outside the EU/EEA

All students from countries outside the EU/EEA should have private or public health insurance from their home country covering their first few weeks in Norway.

After these first weeks the type of insurance needed depends on how long you're staying:

Staying less than 3 months

Students staying less than 3 months must have a social security coverage from their home country covering the entire stay in Norway.

Staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months

You can apply for membership in the National Insurance Scheme (

  • Fill in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme (PDF) entitling you to social security coverage with regard to health services.
  • Enclose a copy of your HiOA admission letter and a copy of your residence permit.
  • Send the form and the additional documents to the closest NAV Office: 

Students living at  Sogn or Kringsjå student village :

  • NAV Nordre Aker: Address: P.O. Box 320, Alnabru, 0614 Oslo Telephone: 55 55 33 33

Students living at  St Hanshaugen student village :

  • NAV St. Hanshaugen trygd: P.O. Box 304, Alnabru, 0614, Oslo.

Students living at  Åråsen student village :

  • NAV Forvaltning Skedsmo: P.O. Box 1024, Lillestrøm. 2012.
  • You must have public or private social security coverage from your home country if you do not apply as described above.

Staying in Norway for more than 1 year

  • All students staying more than a year are automatically insured under the National Insurance Scheme ( when you register as a resident in Norway with the National Registry (Skatt Øst) if you're staying in Norway more than one year.
Section for internationalisation Published: Updated: