SiO Visa Deposit Account for International Students
Information to self financing students from countries outside EU/EEA regarding documentation of subsistence.
(Important: This deposit account is not to be confused with the housing deposit account. It cannot be used for housing deposit. You will find information about the deposit for housing here.
If you are a NON-EU/EEA citizen and are planning to study in Norway for more than 3 months, UDI requires that you must document that you show sufficient funds to support yourself during your study period (for one year or more you need to document NOK 94 400. For students staying only one semester, 47 200 NOK is enough).
UDI requires that the mentioned amount is in a Norwegian bank account when you apply for a visa/residence permit. You can prove that you have sufficient funding by transfer money to the SiO Visa Deposit Account.
Bilateral exchange students from visa-free countries are not required to deposit money.
Conditions for depositing money in SiO Visa Deposit Account for International Students
- This is available only for students from countries outside the EU/EEA
- You must have been accepted for studies at HiOA
- The money must be deposited in your name. You can use sponsors but they must make sure that your name is attached to the transfer.
- Although SiO does not charge anything for this service, Nordea Bank will charge a fee for your transfer to the SiO Deposit Account.
- The amount that must be deposited is NOK 94 400 for one academic year and NOK 47 200 for one semester
- Students who are accepted for degree studies must deposit money for one academic year, NOK 94 400
How to deposit money in the SiO Visa Deposit Account
How to transfer money
- Please follow this link to fill out and submit the necessary information form.
- After registration you and/or your sponsor(s) should immediately transfer the money in your name as written in your passport to the SiO Visa Deposit Account
The form should be completed by 1 May for the autumn semester or 1 November for the spring semester.
Account details for the SiO Deposit account (in Nordea Bank):
- Account number: 6094 05 60805
- Account owner / Benficiary: Studentsamskipnaden i Oslo
- Account title: SiO Deposit Account for International Students
- Address: P.O. Box 94, Blindern, N - 0314 Oslo, Norway
- Swift Code: NDEANOKK
- IBAN Code: NO 3960940560805
Address for Nordea Bank (Main Office): Middelthunsgt. 17, N-0368 Oslo, Norway
When to expect a statement confirming your deposit
The SiO Account Office will send you a statement by e-mail confirming your deposit.
- The receipt will be sent when SiO Account Office has received confirmation of the deposit from Nordea Bank
- Only students who have transferred money AND have submitted the Information Form will receive a receipt of the deposit from SiO Account Office
- Please expect at least 10 working days before you receive the receipt from the SiO Account Office. The time frame is dependent on how quick the involved banks transfer the money, and we are not able to speed up this process.
The statement from SiO Account Office and your own receipt for the money transfer should be submitted to the Norwegian Embassy in your home country when applying for a student residence permit to Norway. You may also enclose a copy of the information on this webpage.
The International Office at HiOA will receive copies of the statements of the transfers made to the SiO Visa Deposit Account.