SiO Visa Deposit Account for International Students
Information to self financing students from countries outside EU/EEA regarding documentation of subsistence.
(Important: This deposit account is not to be confused with the housing deposit account. It cannot be used for housing deposit. You will find information about the deposit for housing here.
Instructions for deposit of money in SiO Visa Deposit Account for international students accepted for studies at Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences (HiOA).
Conditions for depositing money in SiO Visa Deposit Account for International Students
- Only students from countries outside the EU/EEA accepted for studies at HiOA are allowed to deposit money in the SiO Visa Deposit Account.
- The money must be deposited in your own name.
- According to Norwegian Law no interest is earned on money deposited.
- Although SiO does not charge anything for this service, Nordea Bank will charge a small fee for your transfer to the SiO Deposit Account.
- The amount that must be deposited is NOK 94 400 for one academic year and NOK 47 200 for one semester
- Students who are accepted for degree studies must deposit money for one academic year, NOK 94 400
How to deposit money in the SiO Visa Deposit Account
Please read through all the information on this page. If you want to accept the offer of transferring your money to the SiO Visa Deposit Account and accept the conditions stated above:
- If you would like to use the SiO Visa Deposit Account, please follow this link to fill out and submit the necessary information form.
- After registration you should immediately transfer the money in your own name to the SiO Visa Deposit Account
The form should be completed by 1 May for the autumn semester or 1 November for the spring semester.
Important notice : If others transfer the money for you, they must state your name correctly as written in your passport.
For your own benefit we advise you to transfer the money in as few transactions as possible in order to reduce the banking fees, which apply for each transfer.
Account details for the SiO Deposit account (in Nordea Bank):
- Account number: 6094 05 60805
- Account owner / Benficiary: Studentsamskipnaden i Oslo
- Account title: SiO Deposit Account for International Students
- Address: P.O. Box 94, Blindern, N - 0314 Oslo, Norway
- Swift Code: NDEANOKK
- IBAN Code: NO 3960940560805
Address for Nordea Bank (Main Office): Middelthunsgt. 17, N-0368 Oslo, Norway
When to expect a statement confirming your deposit
The SiO Account Office will send you a statement by e-mail confirming your deposit.
- The statement will be sent when SiO Account Office has received confirmation of the deposit from Nordea Bank
- Only students who have transferred money and have submitted the information form will receive a statement of the deposit from SiO Account Office
- Please expect up to 10 working days for you to receive the receipt/statement from SiO Account Office
The statement from SiO Account Office and your own receipt for the money transfer should be submitted to the Norwegian Embassy in your home country when applying for a student residence permit to Norway. You may also enclose a copy of the information on this webpage.
International Office at HiOA will receive copies of the statements of the transfers made to the SiO Visa Deposit Account.
Arrival in Norway
Please be sure to bring along enough money for at least the first week and preferably also a credit card/ATM card valid in Norway (check with your bank), since it may take a few days before you get access to the deposit amount after arrival. Upon arrival in Norway you need to:
- Apply for a Norwegian personal ID-number as soon as possible after registering with the Police. Go here for information regarding registration.
- Open a bank account in a Norwegian bank of your choice after receiving your Norwegian personal number
The personal number is vital for opening a bank account in Norway. Please note that processing of the application for a personal number may take up to 6 weeks.
SiO Deposit checks
If you should need access to your money in the deposit account while waiting for your Norwegian personal number and bank account, you can withdraw NOK 22 000 from your money (one withdrawal only).
- Checks can be collected in Knutepunktet - International Student, Campus Blindern UiO , only on specific dates (the dates will be posted later) where staff from the SiO Account Office will be present
- Remember to bring your passport and residence permit card.
Transfer of your money to your Norwegian bank account
- After receiving your new account number, fill in this form
- Send it together with copy of residence permit sticker in your passport and a written confirmation from your bank of your account number.
- You may send the documents by mail to SIO, PB 94 Blindern, 0314 Oslo or you may scan the documents and send them by e-mail to email@example.com
- Your money will then be transferred to your account in total, except for banking fees, if applicable, and the money already withdrawn, if any
Return of the deposited money if you are not granted residence permit
If your application for a student residence permit is rejected by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration, the money that you have deposited in the account will be returned to you.
You must then send information about your account to firstname.lastname@example.org