Welfare, Democracy and Governance
The department’s main focus is the public sector, its organisation and management, and how the latter affect political participation, governance, policy making and division of responsibilities and tasks.
About the department
These research interests are pursued in a number of policy areas, not least health and welfare, environment, housing and education. The department addresses scientific challenges of studying politics, political processes and political debates. We take special pains to bring scientific perspectives to bear on political issues in ways that advance practical knowledge and scientific understanding.
The department’s research projects cover all stages of policy making and policy enactment. Empirical and normative analyses are staple methodologies. One area of great importance concerns political systems and the democratic challenges facing them. We also look at problems stemming from and affecting different levels of government through qualitative and quantitative lenses.
The department studies questions associated with the organisation and management of the public sector.
- Final Evaluation of Better Interdisciplinary Effort (BTI) Founding: Norwegian Directorate of Health Period: 01.10.2017 - 13.12.1901
- Renewal and development of local democracy in municipalities with a decision on merger Founding: Norwegian Ministry of Local Government and Modernization (KMD) Period: 21.08.2017 - 01.03.2019
- Knowledge summary and mapping of measures against hate speech Founding: Bufdir Period: 23.06.2017 - 01.12.2017
- Governing the green shift in Oslo, Gothenburg, Copenhagen and Cape Town (GreenGov) Founding: Research Council of Norway Period: 01.10.2017 - 31.12.2021
We aim here to establish the impact of public sector organisation and management on:
- Political participation
- Policy making
- Division of responsibilities and tasks in the public sector