Welfare, Democracy and Governance
The department’s main focus is the public sector, its organisation and management, and how the latter affect political participation, governance, policy making and division of responsibilities and tasks.
About the department
These research interests are pursued in a number of policy areas, not least health and welfare, environment, housing and education. The department addresses scientific challenges of studying politics, political processes and political debates. We take special pains to bring scientific perspectives to bear on political issues in ways that advance practical knowledge and scientific understanding.
The department’s research projects cover all stages of policy making and policy enactment. Empirical and normative analyses are staple methodologies. One area of great importance concerns political systems and the democratic challenges facing them. We also look at problems stemming from and affecting different levels of government through qualitative and quantitative lenses.
The department studies questions associated with the organisation and management of the public sector.
- Governing the green shift in Oslo, Gothenburg, Copenhagen and Cape Town (GreenGov) Founding: Research Council of Norway Period: 01.10.2017 - 31.12.2021
- Spatial dynamics and strategic planning in metropolitan areas (SPIMA) Founding: ESPON Period: 16.09.2016 - 30.11.2017
- Report on "social sustainability" and public health Founding: The Norwegian Directorate of Health Period: 08.11.2016 - 31.05.2017
- Municipalities planning and initiatives for an aging population Founding: The Norwegian Directorate of Health Period: 08.11.2016 - 30.06.2017
We aim here to establish the impact of public sector organisation and management on:
- Political participation
- Policy making
- Division of responsibilities and tasks in the public sector